**Well, friends…the WordPress app betrayed me and posted this review like a month early. Oh well! Rolling with it, Shadowhunter style.
*There will be spoilers, if you haven’t read pretty much everything Cassandra Clare has written. Lol.*
Synopsis from Goodreads: The series follows the adventures of Simon Lewis, one of the stars of Cassandra Clare’s internationally bestselling series The Mortal Instruments , as he trains to become a Shadowhunter. Throughout the course of Simon’s education, characters from the Mortal Instruments and the The Infernal Devices will make appearances, as will characters from the upcoming The Dark Artifices series and Last Hours series. Once a mundane, then a vampire, Simon prepares to enter the next phase of his life: Shadowhunter.
I checked out most of these eBooks from my local library’s Overdrive system, but some of them I had to buy for my Kindle. They aren’t released in a hardback binding yet, so if you want to read them, you have to read the novellas one at a time.
- Welcome to Shadowhunter Academy – 4 stars [I liked this as an introduction to the academy and how Simon is now that his memories are gone. Some of the other characters were interesting to meet, knowing their ancestors from the other books.]
- The Lost Herondale – 4 stars [I really love all the history and long, interconnected family trees in this world. So for me, this novella was like candy that I gobbled right up. Then I’d get bored for a little while. And repeat. I desperately hope this lost Herondale shows up at some point! Ahh, the possibilities!]
- The Whitechapel Fiend – 4.5 stars [More Shadowhunter history! Wahoo! This was especially interesting, but that’s really all this story had to it. Plus some of Jace’s sass, which I do enjoy occasionally. And Tessa. Sweet, sweet Tessa.]
- Nothing But Shadows – 4 stars [I was pretty bored at first, but I later enjoyed learning some more information about Will and Tessa’s family and the kids of other Infernal Devices characters that I love. Seeing how Tessa’s demon blood manifested itself in her son was really intriguing. I hope we get more info on James!]
- The Evil We Love – 3.5 stars [Well, I still hate Robert Lightwood. But again, you gotta love getting some more back story and character back-development! Even if there’s a bit of meh mixed in.]
- Pale Kings and Princes – 4.5 stars [Ooohhhh! This one was really good! I loved that we got to see Helen again, but we also got to hear more of the story of her parents and the twisty truth! And two thumbs up for some Sizzy reconciliation.]
- Bitter of Tongue – 4 stars [I really hope that Clare’s new series leads to some kind of rescue for poor Mark and some faerie reconciliation. I loved getting an update on all the Blackthorn kids and this novella made me even more excited for Lady Midnight!]
- The Fiery Trial – 4.25 stars [A liked this one a little more than some, but not as much as others. I’m really excited to see where Clary and Simon’s bond goes and that he’s getting some memories back!]
- Born to Endless Night – 4 stars [Loving what’s happening with Malec & fam! Also nice to see different sides of sommeee people. ]
- Angels Twice Descending – 4.75 stars [I loved this from start to finish…a great ending to this novella collection. Plus, it has me really excited for the series to continue!]
Final thoughts: If you’re “all in” with this series, like I am, then you have to read these. Sure, some were way better than others, but each one added to the Shadowhunter world.
Pick this up if you liked:
The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare
Goodreads rating: 4.24/5
My rating: 4/5
Happy reading! – Caitlyn